Saturday, October 18, 2008

They will greet us with candy and flowers

I know that Sarah Palin was on SNL last night, and I'm sure that's taking the lead story on most news outlets today. But did anyone catch the huge protest in Iraq against the "extension" of the US withdraw timeline? Probably not, since no US news outlet would cover such an "insignificant" story. Who do those Iraqis think they are? Telling us when to get out of their country? The nerve!

Thankfully, the BBC had camera crews there to catch the whole thing. I don't know about you, but when I see tens of thousands of angry, young men protesting in the streets, I get nervous. Why? A couple of reasons.

#1. If they are there protesting, that means that they probably aren't working and being productive members of society.

#2. If they're not contributing to society, then what are they doing all day? Most likely trying to figure out how they are going to support themselves and their families.

#3. If you have a large group of angry young men with no jobs, and no means with which to support themselves or their families, what do they do? They either turn to crime, or join the "freedom fighters" and attack our forces, thereby reducing security in the region and prolonging the conflict.

Sorry if this gets anyone down today. Go back to watching that hilarious Sarah Palin - SNL sketch! That'll cheer you up, you betcha!

3 comments:

batchick said...

Isn't it pathetic that this has not been covered at all (that I've seen) by the U.S. media? This is the first I've heard of it.

(I work with your cousin, Kari Bevans.)

Justin said...

I heard about that protesting, only because I have a vested interest in the future of Iraq. Sadr's militia were chanting "we will cut off the hands of any Iraqi who dare's to sign the agreement". As shocking as that sounds, sometimes I wish we'd cut the hands off of certain american politicians.

Jessica said...

Honestly, I think all Americans should consider that they have a vested interest in the future of Iraq.