Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Two Dumb Links as an Excuse for a Post

Hi. I'm lazy and pressed for time. Here's two dumb links of stuff I've been peeping lately.

First off is my latest toy, the Nike+ iPod gimmick. I've heard that my own brother has given me some guff about this, but he can go screw. This is a tiny transmitter set made in a partnership between Apple and Nike. One piece goes into a special Nike+ shoe and the other one clips into the bottom of your iPod nano. Then you start running and it records your time, distance, speed, calories burned, etc. Data is stored until you hook the iPod up to your computer, then you can download the info and send it to Nike.com. There you can track all your runs, set goals, challenge others, etc. Here's what my screen looks like when I sign in.



At first, I thought this was a neat gimmick and that's what drew me to it. But I've been using it for a couple of runs now and there's really a lot of functionality to it. Something about seeing your run analyzed like that and then trying to improve on your time and speed is a motivator. Plus, you can look at other people's run times from around the world. I say neat-o!

My second dumb link I stumbled on while writing a reply to my dear friend, Tab O'maley. It's the Bazooka Joe Shrine!! Some kid from Caltech has made an incredibly informative, if starkly designed, web page about Bazooka Joe comics. Plus, he's got scans of all the old comics to boot! With each one, he does what I can only describe as a literature review of the dialogue. How much critical analysis can one derive from a two frame comic? Turns out, quite a bit.

Cheers!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Mort who is a teen genius is on the moon, yet instead of relishing the fact that he is able to experience planetary science on a level that most can only dream of, Mort criticizes the culinary inconviences. Also note that Bazooka Joe is able to transcend physical laws concerning material science, as he is able to pass a sandwich through pressure resistance glass in order for him to take a bite without exposing his skin to the dangerous vacuum of space."

Ha!