Saturday, December 02, 2006

Damned Singing French Woman

I've been packing this afternoon in preparation for a "business trip" that I'm taking next week. While I've been pulling all my stuff together, I've had on CNN to keep me company. It's the International version of CNN, with the anchors that are a special blend of nationalities so as not to upset or isolate any particular group of viewers. Is he Indian, or Arabic? African, or Asian? Their backgrounds are so muddled, it's anyone's guess. But they all speak the King's English, so it brings a nice sensibility to them when they announce riots in Lebanon or radiological scares on British Airways. But I digress...

There's a commercial for Novotel, which I just learned is a hotel chain in Europe, that has been playing in heavy rotation on CNN. It features animals making themselves at home in the hotel rooms while a woman sings this semi-creepy, semi-sweet song ever so softly in the background. I don't know if the song itself is noteworthy or I've just listened to it twenty times today, but I can't get it out of my head. And it's only five or six lines longs. A quick Google search yielded that the woman singing is Emilie Simon, who is French. She has a website, Follow the Blue Light, which is completely in French. Would it kill her to have an English translation site up? The only reason that I stumbled onto her was because I heard her singing in English on English language TV. But it's her site, I guess she can do as she pleases. Give her a look and see if you can download the clip from the commercial. I'm sure it must be somewhere on there. If you can find it, listen to it about twenty times throughout the day at about ten or fifteen minute intervals. If it doesn't start driving you nuts, then I guess there's just something wrong with me.

But I guess we don't need this little exercise in active listening to tell us that, do we?

No comments: