Thursday, December 15, 2005

They warned me!


Here's another unrelated picture that has nothing to do with the post- but I know everyone loves to see Aidan.

Before (and since) we came to Korea, lots of people warned us about "crazy" Korean customs, behaviors, etc. Although we have only been here two months, I feel totally confident in saying they were WRONG. Ha ha. Here are some common beliefs about Korea/ns and what I, the new Korean expert, think:
1. Koreans wouldn't pee on you if you were on fire. That's not exactly what I was told, but this is a family blog. This is supposedly based on their Buddhist beliefs, that everyone has a circle of friends/family to help them, and if you're not in theirs, someone in yours will eventually wander by and help you out. To the contrary, I have found Koreans to be very helpful. Once I didn't have any won for the subway, and the ticket guy let me put $1 in the charity box as payment instead. Downright sweet of him, I think.
2. Seoul is a filthy, disgusting city with unbreathable air. We have not yet been here in summer, when the smog is supposed to be worse, but again, I have to say I disagree with common perception. Seoul may have poor air quality, but it sure is tidy. Our building security guards are always sweeping and doing minor yard work, and I see old Koreans sweeping the streets with brooms all the time. National motto: If you have time to lean, you have time to clean.
3. Koreans smell like garlic and kimchi. Not so much; maybe this one has a little truth to it. But, you'll never guess what Koreans think Americans smell like- butter! If you think, "Butter doesn't smell so bad," then I challenge you to stick your nose in some room-temperature butter for a few minutes and see if you change your mind. I did.
4. Seoul is too expensive. I'm still debating this one. To make a fair judgment, I think you have to compare Seoul to other big cities, not cheapie suburban wonderlands like Clarksville. Unfortunately, I have never lived in another big city, so I can't say. Sure, a coke may cost $3.50 in restaurants, but you can also buy a Louis Vuitton wallet or an Abercrombie sweatshirt for $20. That's got to even out.
5. Koreans are crazy drivers. Guilty as charged.

Bonuses that no one told us about:
1. They play classical music and birds singing on the subway
2. The technology here is ridiculous- remote control ceiling lights, fingerprint locks on the front doors, security camera screens in the apartment so you can see who is outside your building or front door... It's crazy.
3. Korean cuisine is more than just kimchi and bulgogi- Joel loves kimbap (sushi), and my favorite is mandu (dumplings). Also, there is so much international food here- we've eaten at four different Indian places already.
4. Everyone speaks English- just not that well.

No comments: