Thursday, September 07, 2006

Enter the Dragon

Without looking ahead, can anyone guess what this is a picture of?

Aidan and I were cruising around Seoul killing some time on a Saturday. We pass a major intersection that usually has a fountain next to it. The fountain hasn't been running lately, or at least I haven't see it because I've been out of town for a couple of weeks. In its place, however, is a giant wicker dragon! And by giant, I mean on the order of four or five stories. The picture above is a close up of the undulating body. Here's a better side shot of the whole thing. Check out the kids sitting up on top.

That's not exactly to scale, as the dragon didn't dwarf the 30+ story buildings in the background. But it was huge. More importantly, it wasn't there three weeks ago. It's a temporary structure that was erected for some reason and will be taken down in the near future, I'd imagine.

Driving down the street and happening upon this giant dragon made of bamboo and steel skeleton, I couldn't help but being overcome by delight. As hackney as that sounds, it's true. How wonderful is it to be surprised by the extraordinary when you're not expecting it? After seeing this beast up close, I took some liberties to spruce it up a bit with Photoshop to make it a little more fantastic. Don't know about you, but I always thought dragons should be green.

No comments: