Monday, November 13, 2006

What's with Italian radio stations?!

I've been listening to a lot of Italian radio here in the hopes that it will help with my study of the language. Kind of like when Bart went to France in "The Crepes of Wrath" episode. Unfortunately, I haven't had the same kind of luck as he did. I'm just now getting the pronouns and to be verbs figured out. But I guess Rome wasn't built in a day! Har-de-har-har!!

What I have noticed about Italian radio stations is the crazy mix of songs that they put on the air. The have their own mix of Italian language pop hits and Euro/US pop that they put together. It's seems pretty standard, really. What's been throwing me are two older songs that are getting a lot of airplay. As in several times a day, like standard rotation. They're both older songs, and english language songs too. One is Africa from Toto. I couldn't tell you the last time I thought about this song. Years, to say the least. By in Italy I hear it at least once a day. The other song is a little more obscure and I'll be honest when I say that I didn't immediately recognize it for what it was. It's We Don't Need Another Hero by Tina Turner from the Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome soundtrack. Now I'm sure that I've heard this song, because I've seen MM:BT, but I would come up blank if that was the answer for Final Jeopardy.

It's been playing a lot, but I didn't get clued in until I started listening closely to the lyrics and heard her sing "All we want is life beyond the thunderdome". That's when I had one of those "wait a minute" moments. How many songs out there have "thunderdome" in the lyrics? It's got to be in the single digits. Not that there shouldn't be a lot more songs about the Thunderdome. It's one of our national treasures, after all.

In fact, I'll post any song that is written in the comments that contains the word Thunderdome. Get set - GO!

No comments: