Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Grappa Tasting

It's been awhile since I last posted... blah blah blah.

Last weekend Jessica and I went to the Nardini Grappa factory and took le grande tour. For you non-alcoholics, grappa is a fragrant grape-based pomace brandy of between 38% and 80% alcohol by volume (75 to 160 proof), of Italian origin. Think of a whisky, but made of grape skins and seeds instead of grain. It's hella popular over here.

So this Nardini company is one of the oldest producers of the stuff. How old? Try from the late 1700s. For the tour, we went through their facilities (which deserve their own post. More later) and got to taste some of their wares.

Now, I'll preface this video by saying this: their grappa is actually very good. It's smooth and goes well after a big dinner. But they had other varieties for tasting beside the regular grappa. I can't remember the exact name of the liquor that Jessica is sampling below, but the host there said it's made from star anise and some other Italian mountain herb and is the bitterest digestive available in Italy. As you can tell for her reaction, they just won over another convert.



2 comments:

Brizmo said...

Is she gonna cry or vomit?

Jessica said...

I just want to say that the tour guide was right in front of me, and that was still the best I could do to be non-offensive to her and her product. The taste still haunts me.