Thursday, January 31, 2008

It's Alive

After many months, my computer is finally back up and running!

As long-time readers may recall, there was an incident with Jessica and my "big computer" back during the summertime. Due to a number of conflicts (work, Christmas, trips), I was not able to diagnose the problem, order parts, and troubleshoot all the issues with the computer. Only this month have I been able to really look at it. And it was a doozy.

So after replacing 1) the power supply (didn't fix it), 2) motherboard (half-way fixed), 3) the hard drive (better, but needed optical drive to load OS), 4) the DVD drive, I finally have a working computer.

Since I was ordering parts anyway, I upgraded a little. There were some really great deals after Christmas, so I now have a hot new video card and upped my RAM to 2 Gb. Now, my machine smokes, but in a good way.

5 comments:

Brizmo said...

Yeah, I upgraded too, to an 8 core 3Ghz (a piece) Xeon with 8GB RAM, Radeon X1900, 4 SATA drives striped to 2TB and a 2Gbps fibre array. No bluetooth, though.

jade said...

Hey Joel and Jessica, I found your blog. This is Joy. I'm very happy for you and Bryan with your fabulous new computer parts, but am even more excited that I can now keep up with your fancy European life. I'm glad to see you're all well and making cute babies.

Joel said...

Bryan, that's some pretty heavy-duty hardware. Are you pioneering the next step in Forest Gump technology?

Kelly Byrom said...

and why dont you have a mac?

Joel said...

why don't I have a mac?

Three reasons:

1. Cost of components for my PC: ~$600. Cost of comparably spec'ed Mac: $1500.

2. You can't play Call of Duty 4 on a mac.

3. Steve Jobs is a douche.