Monday, July 30, 2007

Happy Birthday to me


Well, I have to say it has truly been my birthday now that I received my official Army birthday greeting "card" from Col. Davis, a man I have neither met nor ever heard of, but whom I assume is Joel's boss. I am forced to put quotes around the word card, since it is more of a half sheet of off-white stationary than anything with a picture of a cake or presents on it. To Col. Davis, I respectfully accept your greetings, sir!


Anyway, it was my 29th birthday last week, ho hum. After 21, it's kind of been lame. Even before 21, it was lame, because every year my family would go on vacation the week of my birthday. I guess it was fun to decide where in Ocean City we would eat for my birthday- Tommy's Subs, Dayton's Chicken, or even The Dough Roller, but having a party with your friends is good, too. I'm just saying, there are 51 other weeks in the year to go on vacation, people!


I am starting to think there is a curse on our family where birthdays are concerned. First, Joel misses all of his thanks to the Army, and Aidan's have been weird because we're always moving in the fall. Although I'm sure he enjoys having a party with each set of grandparents, it would be nice to have a kid party with games and stuff. Maybe this year.


2 comments:

LoraK said...

First off, Happy Birthday Jessica. I also enjoy the Army cards and/or gifts. For example when Gabe was born we were blessed with a "Future Green Beret" bib from a commander I'd never met before. It honestly took me more than three hours to compose a thank you card that didn't include the phrases "over my dead body" or "we'd kinda like to let the kid make up his own mind about his future career." It's not that I didn't appreciate the thought, it's just all the emotional baggage they unload with it onto a helpless infant.It also left me thinking about what they must give couples who have female children...
Anyhow I've heard it said that 40 is the next 30, so really you're still just a kid. At least that is what I keep thinking because April will be here before I know it. Sigh.

Jessica said...

How about the maternity clothes they sell at the PX called "New Recruit" with the pacifier on the dog tag chain?!? Disturbing...