Friday, July 27, 2007

Sorry, not my job

"Brizmo"'s comment on the last post about the house being his domain of resonsibility had me thinking of how different things around our house are divided up- like, even if there is a mountain of trash on our porch, I will NOT take it to the recycling center, because that is Joel's job (unless he's out of town, of course). Likewise, I don't think he has bought anyone a present or a card since we got together, because that's my job. He has occasionally come up with an idea, but it's still up to me to shop for it, wrap it, and mail it.
So, here are some of the areas of responsibility for each of us. Although this list doesn't cover every single thing that comes up, these are things that each of us is completely responsible for. There are lots of other things that we both do, like giving Aidan his bath or cleaning up the dishes after dinner.


Joel: computers, cars, trash, fancy cooking, finances, taxes, mopping, driving if we're both in the car, washing the dog, using the video camera, cooking meat, downloading tv shows on the computer, using the drill to hang things on our brick walls.


Jessica: presents, daily cooking, shopping (food and clothing, including Joel's), running errands, laundry, cleaning (except mopping), brushing Aidan's teeth, taking care of Ava (by neccessity), writing thank you notes, making vacation plans, walking Aidan to school, organizing, unpacking when we move (which is a lot!), decorating the house.


I'm wondering if this is a pretty standard male/female split of the duties, or if other people have radically different "jobs" around the house? Leave a comment!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chuck Norris is the reason why Waldo is hiding.

Anonymous said...

That is almost exactly our split, except since we have two cats and a dog, I'm in charge of the dog and Paul is in charge of the cats which basically means that he cleans the litterbox, which in my mind is a subset of "trash." I take them all to the vet though. I also have to schedule all the people that come to the house such as the exterminator, plumber, etc and be there when they arrive. And laundry. Did I mention laundry? I'm starting to get bitter.

By the way, my name is Jennifer (Waller) Sibley and I went to high school with Joel and I'm good friends with Jennifer and Bryan Kelley.