Wednesday, July 25, 2007

I'm getting divorced! Probably!


Well... I had an accident. A really, bad, expensive accident, caused by my own stupidity in not knowing how something around the house, that I use all the time, works. I won't say what happened just yet, since the next of kin (Joel) has not yet been informed.

But, this had me thinking about Lucy Ricardo. I think she is kind of ridiculed as a caricature of the 50's housewife and how subservient they were to their husbands. Yet, when I made this huge mess, my first thought wasn't a feminist "What mad-cap scheme can I come up with to fix this myself? but a sad, pathetic "Oh my god, Joel is going to kill me!"and then I cried for a while. Oh Lucy, help me!

On a funny note, I asked Aidan if he thought Joel would be mad and he said, "Well, daddy will be 'prised about that!" Sweetie.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I experience similar anxiety whenever anything on/in the house breaks/falls apart. Since the house is my domain, I bear the responsibilty. My first thought is always, "Jennifer's not gonna like this." I cuss, too. Here's hoping you stay together.

Jessica said...

Thanks for the support, although I can't imagine you getting in trouble with Jennifer. When I talked to Joel, he seemed relieved it wasn't about the car. That's his "domain," as you put it, but one he totally hates having to deal with. So, it could have been worse.