Monday, December 24, 2007

Danger: Christmas

I hate having a real tree, because we always have some moronic problem with it. Jenniferpants wrote that she and her husband forgot to cut the bottom off of their real tree, so it's not absorbing any water and might not make it to Christmas; I was not even aware that you needed to do such a thing. This year, we got a cut-off tree (no roots), but couldn't find a stand at the Italian store. Joel bought a bucket and some dirt, and we "planted" it. So far, so good, but it is getting pretty dried out.
Also, we never know what to do with it after Christmas- one year we threw it in the woods behind our house, and it turned purple. I think it was possibly related to the anti-fire treatment they put on it, but what do I know. Last year, we put it out on our balcony, where it kept all of its needles as a perfectly preserved, dried-out fire-hazardous porch decoration. A few months later, we dropped it bucket-first over the edge en route to the dump. As soon as it hit the ground, 1000000 needles dropped off and the tree was totally bare. It was actually really cool, and we might try to replicate it this year, if just for the photo op.
Any other horror stories, or is everyone else on earth capable of keeping and disposing of one tree a year??

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I always leave the tree disposal up to Bryan. Then, when spring hits and I'm out doing yard work, I find a dead Christmas tree surprise that is hiding in some random spot in the yard. My favorite is the tree from 2 years ago that is residing under our deck. Pisses me off every time I catch a glance of it. Why couldn't he just take it to the curb? :) I love my husband and his silly reasoning.