Tuesday, March 28, 2006

The International Language of the Finger

I got the finger from an old Korean lady today. This is really shocking, for many reasons. First, I can't remember ever getting it "for serious" in the states, Home of the Finger. But here I am, 10,000 miles away, getting it from some dried up old hag who can't drive. Oh, yeah- I guess that's a BIG surprise- it was a driving-related incident. I won't go into the details, other than to say she pulled in front of me in an intersection, creating a gridlock situation for all four directions. I thre my hands up in an irritated gesture (but not the finger), which was so offensive to her that she stayed put even as other traffic moved, just to be in my way, and when I honked at her, she gave me the bird.
The second issue is that a Korean gave me the bird over a driving issue. I won't bore you with the standard "Koreans drive like maniacs!" line, but this is a place where motorcycles drive on the sidewalks and old people pull carts like horses in the street, right in the middle of the lane like they are a car. Here is a picture of a guy with a cart I stole from another website that looks to be a photojournal of Korea. Just picture this guy in a lane on a highway:

Also, how does she even know about the finger? I did't think it was a universal signal, but I guess it's just one more American culture export we are so kind to share with the world. Go USA!!

No comments: