Sunday, March 19, 2006

It stinks, and I don't like it.

Another exciting entry today. It's been over a week since the last post, but I don't want everyone to think that we've forgotten about you. Today I'm posting from an undisclosed location on the Korean peninsula where I'm currently involved in a training exercise that rivals all others in the amount of downtime that I have.

Yes, I'm talking about RSOI. For those uninitiated into the ways that the Army works on the Korean peninsula, I'll give you a quick rundown. If the North Koreans choose to attack S. Korea and the "balloon goes up", the U.S. Army will quickly mobilize a bunch of forces onto the peninsula in support of the operation. Part of my job will be overseeing their Reception, Staging, Onward Movement, and Integration. Hence, RSOI. Basically getting them off the plane/ship and into the fight in the least dicked up way possible. That, at least, is the goal.

So every year, the U.S. forces on peninsula come together and practice what it would be like for all these forces to arrive and how we would best deal with them and move them out to where they need to be. However, we do all this with no actual forces involved. Thousands of grown adults pretending imaginary forces are coming on ships and planes into theater, then unloading their imaginary baggage, then pretending to move across country to an imaginary battle that is not taking place. It's like the worlds most involved Dungeons & Dragons game with tanks instead of swords and wizards. I call it dorked up.

My biggest problem right now is convincing myself to "get into the role" of the exercise. I can't seem to get past the fact that it's so artificial and that no actual soldiers are moving around or helicopters inserting troops anywhere. It's fake. There's people that are thinking up "problems" that will happen during our time here so we can "solve" them and feel good about "overcoming an adversity". Am I using too many "quotes"? "Sorry".

Anyway, I would like to send you some pictures of the EOC (Emergency Operations Center) floor, because that is pretty cool. There's a giant 50'x20' video display that streches across the front of the floor. It's surrounded on both sides by four 50" flatscreen displays. Then on the floor are rows of desks with mics on them and a camera that automatically zooms onto your face when you speak into the mic. It's the kind of stuff that you see in the movies when they show the secret military underground command post. The only difference is that this place has a lot better lighting than in the movies. Also, no smoking. But other than that, pretty close.

I'll write again should any shenanigans take place here in the next week or so. But don't hold your breath.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Joel,

believe it or not, we (as in fort hood) actually sent people across the pond to participate in your Dungeons and Dragons Exercise..ain't that some shit...

tino