Saturday, September 08, 2007

My Brilliant Idea

I don't know why, but when I'm in Bulgaria I seem to keep coming up with crazy business ideas. There's been a-plenty, but this post is just about one of them in particular.

But first, a little background...

All around Bulgaria, I keep seeing this very poster:



Now, I don't read Bulgarian. I can only go by what I can glean from the picture and what I know about Bulgaria. First, I can see that some thug-ish looking gentleman is prominently featured at the front of this poster. He appears to be surrounded by a throng of acquaintances; a mob of people, if you will. Second, I know that Bulgaria has a large and active underworld criminal element. Third, by the production quality and frequency that I see this poster, I make the assumption that this is for a TV show or movie in Bulgaria. So my first conclusion was that this was some sort of Bulgarian version of the Sopranos.

Turns out, my first conclusion was incorrect. The guy, I learned, is Slavi Trifonov, host of the Slavi Trifonov Show. From his website:

Slavi Trifonov`s Show is a daily sixty minute evening talk show broadcast from Monday to Friday from 22:30h 23:30h on the first private nationwide TV in Bulgaria - bTV. Although it is an external production it turned into the media emblem and basis upon which it started to build its image and prestige.


So, it's kind of like a Bulgarian version of Sabado Gigante. But I think that my original idea would actually be a better sell. A Bulgarian version of the Sopranos, with this guy Slavi as the lead. Set it in a suburb of Sofia, have Slavi go through a mid-life crisis while he's trying to balance the mob and his family, through a little Balkan flavor in there; it's a can't miss premise. Also, doesn't Slavi bear a little more than a passing resemblance to this guy?



Now, who can green light this baby? I'll set myself up as the executive producer, get some hot-shot Bulgarian director, and a crew of hungry university students for writers. It'll make millions.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

I see him as more of a Bulgarian Letterman...but less cranky.